The army of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has launched an offensive against rebels in the eastern part of the country.
The offensive, which began on Tuesday in South Kivu province, is targeting a group called the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR).
Army sources told news site, Aljazeera that the rebels had fled into the forest when they were attacked. No civilians were caught in the fighting since they had evacuated the area. FDLR fighters confirmed that they had been attacked but also said they had retaliated.
The rebel group includes Rwandan Hutus who took part in the 1994 genocide and then fled across the border.
In the DRC, the fighters remain active in areas surrounding Lake Kivu, which has large natural gas reserves.
The FDLR is believed to number between 1,500 and 2,000 fighters. The rebels have been accused of numerous atrocities, including murder, rape, and recruitment of child soldiers.
The Congolese army faces similar accusations of human rights abuses.